Tuesday, March 27, 2012

Jambalaya and the P-word


 I had dinner last night at a little restaurant in New Orleans.  I had the jambalaya, which was delicious, and it got me thinking about politics. 

Specifically, I’d like our congressional representatives to have to have a serving of this excellent dish and to reflect on its composition.  It must have started with the paella that the Spanish brought with them.  The French came later and added their jambon.  But, and here’s the important part for those who represent us in Washington, neither the French nor the Spanish could acquire all of the spices and ingredients they were used to, so they substituted native vegetables and spices. The result was entirely different than what they started with but oh, so delicious.  Even the name, both accurate and artful, combines Spanish, French and (I think) Creole

I’d hope that, in eating the dish, our representatives would contemplate the fact that if the little restaurant I ate in was running like government is today, the proprietor would offer white rice or a slab of ham steak, certainly not both together.  Surely, he would be out of business in short order.  Surely, our representatives would see that the artful combination of diverse elements is the best choice in politics, as in cuisine.  Wouldn’t they?

OK, enough on politics.  Back to the blues ....

No comments:

Post a Comment