Wednesday, March 28, 2012

Music

When I first got to New Orleans, I went out on Bourbon Street.   As a result, I was all set to go on a rant about how electricity is going to destroy real music.

 This little clip was taken in the middle of Bourbon Street. There were three bands playing simultaneously, each apparently trying to outdo the other. Two bands up against each other at max volume is cacophony.  Three is just noise. There may be a lot of great musicians in New Orleans, but it's hard to tell on Bourbon Street.


But, then I was glad I held back on the rant the next morning.  For breakfast, I had this gypsy jazz.


By evening, I had a sampling of jazz (with a fine gentleman playing a 7-string bass), zydeco, rock, folk and a wonderful brass band I wish I had a recording of.  Then, for a musical dessert, some Delta Funk like this.  A full and satisfying day.

No comments:

Post a Comment